ADVERTISEMENT

Visit ClubCrossDressing

How prevalent do you think Crossdressing is

Chat anything CrossDressing here.
Forum rules
CrossDressing Zone is a tasteful and clean forum for people serious about CrossDressing. For this reason we do not allow nudity or foul language. Our moderators check and if required remove Spam daily.
Georgina
Preference: Male to Female Crossdresser

How prevalent do you think Crossdressing is

Postby Georgina » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:09 pm

I was wondering about this this morning. You hear all sorts of figures between five and about twenty percent. Maybe because i suppose I've normalised it in my own life I'd be surprised if it's not a higher percentage than we think.

The problem is we are such a closeted community it's hard to be sure. I guess I'm just wondering aloud. Any thoughts?

Georgina
It is not why, it just is

DebbieT
Preference: Transitioning Female

Re: How prevalent do you think Crossdressing is

Postby DebbieT » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:51 pm

Current stats world wide put trans people at 0.7% of the population - but this is just those who's gender doesn't match their birth assigned gender.

GIRES have estimated that 5% of people are gender incongruent, that is those people who cross dress. one in 5 (20%) is a rather high figure, and if it was that high, I doubt there would be a need for closets, as one in 5 people would be in them they'd bump into one another.

The 0.7% figure is well documented in terms of people who come forward for transition help.

The 5% is less well documented, and based on questionnaires, knowledge of the community, stats from sites such as Facebook all extrapolated to the population at large.

That 5% still results in an awful lot of people. 3.5million in the UK alone.350million across the world.

On top of this, there is evidence that the percentage has been consistent across history in all human populations. From Greece to Egypt, to Aboriginal Australia to Siberia to Canada and Celtic Britain. Every population across time and the world there have been trans people.

We are nothing new, nothing scary and nothing shameful.

Debbie

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:14 am

Not as technical but in my house 50 percent are Crossdresser and 100 percent wear lipstick.

Georgina

Postby Georgina » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:16 am

Ginger wrote:Not as technical but in my house 50 percent are Crossdresser and 100 percent wear lipstick.

lol 33 percent are crossdressers in ours and 100 percent also wear lipstick

Georgina

Postby Georgina » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:19 am

DebbieT wrote:Current stats world wide put trans people at 0.7% of the population - but this is just those who's gender doesn't match their birth assigned gender.

GIRES have estimated that 5% of people are gender incongruent, that is those people who cross dress. one in 5 (20%) is a rather high figure, and if it was that high, I doubt there would be a need for closets, as one in 5 people would be in them they'd bump into one another.

The 0.7% figure is well documented in terms of people who come forward for transition help.

The 5% is less well documented, and based on questionnaires, knowledge of the community, stats from sites such as Facebook all extrapolated to the population at large.

That 5% still results in an awful lot of people. 3.5million in the UK alone.350million across the world.

On top of this, there is evidence that the percentage has been consistent across history in all human populations. From Greece to Egypt, to Aboriginal Australia to Siberia to Canada and Celtic Britain. Every population across time and the world there have been trans people.

We are nothing new, nothing scary and nothing shameful.

Debbie

Thanks Debbie, I guess we all start from the position its only us and gradually realise

By the way I like the term Gender Inconguent, I've never heard it before but it fits :)

Georgina

kathy123

Postby kathy123 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:06 pm

I think the lower end of estimates make much more sense to me, even the 5% number would likely need to include those who might just think about it but never actually act on it. I like the in-congruent term also because it seems like it more easily allows for those who are just thinking about it but never have the opportunity to do something.

I've been trying to pay more attention to the general public all the time and I'm not spotting a whole lot of cross dressers mixed in there. I see L/G people all the time and know quite a few of them as both friends and casual acquaintances but I rarely see CD's and I know none in my personal life (outside of all you here of course :thumbs: ). That is one reason why I enjoy this forum as it a great chance to get to know, share with, and maybe even occasionally help other cross dressers.

I know not how, but I am pretty sure Genetics is involved somewhere that is not yet understood. So statistics will, in the end, determine prevalence. This is very evident by the historical record as Debbie pointed out.

Kathy

DebbieT
Preference: Transitioning Female

Postby DebbieT » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:10 am

Kathy, genetics & environment play a part, as they do with most human traits.

The gene that appears to be involved is the so called Sex Regulation (Y) gene, or SRY, to use the geneticist shorthand.

SRY lives on the Y Chromosome (hence the 'Y') and comes in a few variants. In it's long form, it causes hyper masculinity, whilst most men get the typical variant that makes 'men'. There is a short version that can cause effiminate men, or even trans women. There is a 'late-onset' variant that means a child is born looking female, but around puberty develops a penis. This has a high occurrence in the Guevedoce boys of the Dominican Republic. A damaged variant that fails to regulate the hormones correctly is prevalent in trans women. The SRY gene can be damaged by environmental factors, such as excessive alcohol intake during pregnancy or a diet high in phyto-estrogens. But not always, depending on other factors in a pregnant mother's genetic makeup.

Testosterone washes a foetus twice in the womb, in the first trimester it tells the sex organs to start growing a scrotum and penis instead of vagina and overies. The second wash, which doesn't happen in a damaged SRY varient, masculises the brain.

Some XY feotuses do not have an SRY gene at all, and they grow up with a female body. So some cis women are XY!

Additionally, the XY dichotomy is massively simplified for high school text books. If there is an SRY gene on an X, this can mean an XX cis man. Or, you can have XXX, XXY, OY, XO, YY and XYY. There is a South African athlete called Caster Semenya who is XXY. She is female at every level and capable of giving birth, however, that Y gene gives her masculine traits.

In short. It's far more complex than simply XX is a girl and XY is a boy.

Debbie

kathy123

Postby kathy123 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the reply, I did know of a few of those genetic variants but had never had anyone summarize the the breadth of variants so concisely.

Thanks Kathy

Summer

Postby Summer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:21 pm

I understand that Chechnya has almost no trans or gay people at all now!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 77901.html
An older man in a skirt.
In my head I look good, but then reality buts in . . . . . . .

JenniferG
Registered users

Postby JenniferG » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:34 am

I'm not sure how common it is. But I am the only guy in my family to do it.

I don't think it's that common.

1 in 10,000 I'd say...although math is not my strong point.
I've been cross dressing all my life...it's very much part of me. And I don't give a damn who knows! Haha.

Return to “General CrossDressing Chat”