Ma Vie En Rose

This section is dedicated to all things crossdressing in TV and Movies.
Forum rules
CrossDressing Zone is a tasteful and clean forum for people serious about CrossDressing. For this reason we do not allow nudity or foul language. Our moderators check and if required remove Spam daily.
Sonya1
Preference: Transgendered

Ma Vie En Rose

Postby Sonya1 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:34 am

Has anyone seen this 1997 film? Reviews seemed pretty good.

Description: Ludovic is a young child who was assigned male at its birth and can't wait to grow up to be a woman. When its family discovers the little girl blossoming they are forced to contend with their own discomfort and the lack of understanding from their new neighbors. Their anger and impatience cave and Ludovic is sent to see a psychiatrist in the hopes of fixing whatever is wrong with the child. A movie that addresses trans-gender and gender issues in general through the eyes of a child.

I'll add one more that's a bit more recent -2013 documentary

"What's the T?"
T as in "trans-gender." Award winning documentary exploring the challenges, successes and lives of five trans-gender women – who began life as males.

Either one?
One girl was called Jean Marie/ Another little girl was Felicity /Another little girl was Sally Joy /The other was me, and I'm a boy. (credit to P. Townshend)

DebbieT
Preference: Transitioning Female

Re: Ma Vie En Rose

Postby DebbieT » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:30 pm

No, but I've found La Vie En Rose on Netflix....they don't mention gender issues in the blurb, do you think it might be the same? I don't want to spend the next two hours watching a film about The Life of Rose, a gardener from Lyon.

Debbie

Sonya1

Postby Sonya1 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:31 am

DebbieT wrote:No, but I've found La Vie En Rose on Netflix....they don't mention gender issues in the blurb, do you think it might be the same? I don't want to spend the next two hours watching a film about The Life of Rose, a gardener from Lyon.

Debbie

Talk about a coincidence -
REALLY STRANGE - today, a male friend of mine who's going through a terribly nasty divorce and child custody fight, mentioned today that his estranged wife was doing some weird things with their young (4 yr old) son. He said "she really wanted a girl" :shock: I was dumbstruck. He didn't have time to elaborate but whew - what could I say?

Details of Ma Vie En Rose (might be available online - full movie but not on Hulu).

"Ludovic is a 7-year-old boy who likes to dress in girl's clothes, not so much because he likes the clothes as because he is convinced he is a girl. It all seems very clear. After he learns about chromosomes, he explains to his parents that instead of the female XX chromosomes he was intended to get, he received the male XY after "my other X fell in the garbage.'' Ludovic's parents have just moved to a suburb of Paris that looks for all the world like a set for "Ozzie and Harriet.'' Ominously, they live next door to his father's boss. A barbecue is planned to welcome the newcomers, and it's at this party that Ludovic makes his dramatic entrance, dressed in pink. The adults, who would not have looked twice at a little girl wearing jeans and sneakers, are stunned. "It's normal until 7,'' Ludovic's mother explains bravely. "I read it in Marie-Claire.'' "Ma Vie en Rose'' offers gentle fantasy, and a little hard reality, about Ludovic's predicament. He is convinced he is a girl, knows some sort of mistake was made, and is serenely intent on correcting it. Soon he's making the arrangements for a play "marriage'' with Jerome, his best friend, who lives next door and is therefore, unluckily, the boss's son. Since the boss is a blustering bigot, this is not a good idea. Indeed, most of the adults in the movie seem like members of the Gender Role Enforcement Police.

The film is careful to keep its focus within childhood. It's not a story about homosexuality or transvestism, but about a little boy who thinks he's a little girl. Maybe Ludovic, played by a calmly self-possessed 11-year-old named Georges du Fresne, will grow up to be gay. Maybe not. That's not what the movie is about. And the performance reflects Ludovic's innocence and naivete; there is no sexual awareness in his dressing-up, but simply a determination to set things right.

The movie is about two ways of seeing things: the child's and the adult's. It shows how children construct elaborate play worlds out of dreams and fantasies, and then plug their real worlds right into them. Ludovic's alternate universe is ruled by his favorite TV personality, named Pam, who dresses like a princess and has a boyfriend named Ken and flies about the houses with her sparkling magic wand. It also contains his beloved grandmother. In this world Ludovic is sort of an assistant princess, and we can see how his worship of Pam has made him want to be just like her.

Adults, on the other hand, see things in more literal terms, and are less open to fancy. No one is threatened by a girl who dresses like a boy, but the father's boss is just one of the people who sees red whenever Ludovic turns up in drag. This innocent little boy is made to pay for all the gay phobias, fears and prejudices of the adult world.

Because "Ma Vie en Rose'' ("My Life in Pink'') is a comedy, however, the going never gets too heavy. Ludovic is taken to a psychiatrist, he is shouted at by his (mostly sympathetic) parents, he is a figure of mystery to his three well-adjusted siblings and he is a threat to the stability of his neighborhood. Since it's one of those sitcom neighborhoods where everyone spends a lot of time out on the lawn or gossiping over the driveways, what happens to one family is the concern of all.

"Ma Vie en Rose'' is the first film by Alain Berliner, a Belgian, who worked from the original screenplay of Chris vander Stappen, herself a tomboy who got a lot of heat as a child. There are clearly important personal issues at work beneath the surface, especially for vander Stappen, who identifies herself as a lesbian, but they skate above them. And there is a certain suspense: Surely Ludovic cannot simply be humored? Simply allowed to dress as a girl? Or can he?"
One girl was called Jean Marie/ Another little girl was Felicity /Another little girl was Sally Joy /The other was me, and I'm a boy. (credit to P. Townshend)

DebbieT
Preference: Transitioning Female

Postby DebbieT » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:38 pm

It's not on Netflix, sadly.

It got 7.6 on IMDB which is high praise indeed.

I'll keep a lookout for it.

Thanks for the heads up!

:Debbie

Sonya1

Postby Sonya1 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:44 pm

DebbieT wrote:It's not on Netflix, sadly.

It got 7.6 on IMDB which is high praise indeed.

I'll keep a lookout for it.

Thanks for the heads up!

:Debbie

I searched yesterday too and came across many site that "said" full movie download free but when you went there they either:
1) forwarded you to a commercial website (IMDb [owned by Amazon now], Amazon, Sony ......) and wanted a few bucks ($10?)
2) sent you to a pretty sketchy part of the web where Vlad and Boris will gladly send you a download with extras! :shock:

You can watch a couple of "trailers" on Youtube. One I saw was a large garden party where Ludovic makes an "entrance".

How about the doc "What's the T?" - much newer (2013) and appears to be just that ..... a documentary about 5 different T-girls.

cuddles

Postby cuddles » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:37 pm

watch the movie here via the direct links, not the sponsored ones - but also know how to get past the annoying pop-ups...if you've got downloadhelper on firefox you can download it to your computer...you're right, an excellent movie.

http://www.alluc.to/movies/watch-la-vie-en-rose-2007-online/559959.html

Cuddles xxxx

cuddles

Postby cuddles » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:54 pm

OOPS! wrong link - that movie's a biopic of Edith Piaf - still, no regrets, non, rien

Cuddles xxxx

Return to “CrossDressing In The Movies”