Radfems and Trans folk

Have you come accross any crossdressing related news or artcles? This is the place to post them to keep up all informed.
Forum rules
CrossDressing Zone is a tasteful and clean forum for people serious about CrossDressing. For this reason we do not allow nudity or foul language. Our moderators check and if required remove Spam daily.
Marika
Preference: P/T T-Girl

Radfems and Trans folk

Postby Marika » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:20 pm

I don't know how many of you have been following the news on Germaine Greer recently. She was supposed to be giving a lecture and the local students union have been trying to "no platform" her. This is because of her stated views on transgender people.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/germaine-greer-may-be-barred-from-womens-rights-lecture-at-cardiff-university-after-petition-accuses-a6706751.html

My own position on this is irritation with the radfems because they are supposed to be championing equality yet when it comes to us, their attitude is decidedly reactionary. Greer and company have decided that as we are not "real women" we cannot ever have experienced what they go through, so they reject us as allies.

Well, yes, there are experiences women go through that we will never have - although, some of it, we will - trans people are highly likely to experience violence, for example. However, Greer has never spent a lifetime in conflict with her body, so two can play the unique experiences game. This, apparently makes us delusional.

That last bit - the cod-psychology from someone who is unqualified to make a medical diagnosis is, perhaps, the most offensive thing she has said. I am many things, but delusional ain't one of them. And, besides, the psychiatric profession does not accept that we are delusional or mentally ill.

But all that aside, I am opposed to "no platforming". Let her speak. I am happy (well, contented) to hear what she has to say. Ideas can only be challenged if they are openly stated. Greer is an old-fshioned reactionary. Let the world see it.

Davina
Preference: Transitioning Female

Re: Radfems and Trans folk

Postby Davina » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:59 pm

The whole thing is pathetic in my opinion, both parties ought to grow up :frrrt: :)
I don't bother with Hello's anymore as for most of you that's all you'll do here . . . . OMG i'm such a bitch. . . !

Marika

Postby Marika » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:10 pm

Yup.

Sandy-CD
Registered users
Preference: Male to Female Crossdresser

Postby Sandy-CD » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Well said Marika. "I do not agree with what you have to say but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" seems apposite in this case.

Marika

Postby Marika » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:45 pm

I'm an absolutist when it comes to free speech. I grew up in the sixties and seventies at the height of the cold war, when Soviet Russia and its satellites vigorously suppressed freedom of speech. The ideas didn't go away- they merely went underground; the Samizdat. Whether an idea is to survive or die, it must do so in the open.

Return to “CrossDressing in the News”