ADVERTISEMENT

Visit ClubCrossDressing

Registered Bots?

This section is for NON cross Dressing related chat.
Forum rules
CrossDressing Zone is a tasteful and clean forum for people serious about CrossDressing. For this reason we do not allow nudity or foul language. Our moderators check and if required remove Spam daily.
kathy123
Preference: Male to Female Crossdresser

Registered Bots?

Postby kathy123 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Just wondering how google(BOT) and Bing (BOT) are listed as registered users in the listing of whose on line at any given time? Seems odd. They certainly are dedicated users though - seems one of those web crawlers is always on line. And I thought I was spending a little too much time on line but they have me beat.

Sara.G
Preference: P/T T-Girl

Re: Registered Bots?

Postby Sara.G » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Bots as registered users arises from the forum framework itself. In order for a human user to access certain areas of the site, an admin has to set permissions which allows or disallows access. The same principle is applied to bots and webcrawlers.

Each entity whether human or bot is regarded as a registered user regardless of their actual status - although I am a moderator, I am also a registered user. My mod status allows me to access areas of the site that you as a registered user can't. In the case of a bot, there is a preset list which is included at forum setup, this list is used to create a specific usergroup. Admins can the either set permissions for each section of the site which apply to either the group as a whole or to individual bots. For example if we started to be crawled by a new bot named pervypicscrawler we might get suspicious that images and content were being referenced for a purpose other than we would wish - an admin could add pervypicscrawler to the bot usergroup and applied permissions which would disallow access to the site by that bot.

It is an easy method of setting permissions, without the need to update/create a robots.txt file - with the amount of bots in existance we could either blanket ban with a robots.txt or have a huge file defining the behaviour of each. The former would mean the site was not optimal for discovery on google etc and the latter would be a PITA to both get correct and to maintain. Hence the simple method of assigning any bots which crawl the site to be members of a special usergroup is simple and effective.
"Denying who you really are, only leads to regrets later in life. Seize the moment because it will never come around again."

I have been reliably informed that I am a much bigger bitch when I am NOT Sara!!!!

kathy123
Preference: Male to Female Crossdresser

Re: Registered Bots?

Postby kathy123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:46 am

thanks for the explaination!

Return to “Non CrossDressing Related Chat”