Update On Spam!

News and information about the CrossDressing Zone. Please note, Only Admins and Moderators can post on here.
admincd6
Site Admin
Preference: Male (Straight)

Update On Spam!

Postby admincd6 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:06 pm

We have blocked every country apart from the following..

Autralia
Austria
Canada
New Zealand
South Africa
TURKEY
UK
USA

I hope we havent blocked any exsisting members. I am pretty certain we havent but we are getting spammers from so many countries its madness. Lets see if it works!

Louise4ever
Site Admin
Preference: Transgendered

Re: Update On Spam!

Postby Louise4ever » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:59 pm

I think the Spammers just stuck two fingers up at us!

Louise4ever
Site Admin

Postby Louise4ever » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:57 am

Well it's nearly 1am and I've just cleared another load of spam, 1 of which was still posting as I banned him, going to bed now and won't be home till 7pm tomorrow so please if there is more spam don't add to it by pointing out the obvious I will get to it as soon as I am able, hopefully the admin and CGM will be looking into more security in the near future.

admincd6
Site Admin
Preference: Male (Straight)

Postby admincd6 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Louise4ever
Site Admin

Postby Louise4ever » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:58 pm

I've put some new measures in place that don't stop the spam but ruin it for them, the idea being that their links and ads will become useless and there will be no point in posting spam in these forums, it is a working progress and I will continue to remove spam when it appears. one thing I have done is remove the ability to put working links in signatures, and the other is I'm building a database of Keywords that are used only in spam to identify and ruin the posts so they are unreadable to both us and search engines, I want to try and stay away from moderating posts but if it comes to it I will have to do this eventually :(

anyway keep your eyes out you may see some ruined spam with disabled links, but if we get some the database misses don't worry every post I delete will get added to the database!

cuddles

Postby cuddles » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:46 pm

Louise, I feel you must have done such a good job, because it's been over 24 hours now and NOBODY seems to have posted! :) Seriously though, if I met you in the pub I'd buy you a large one
Cuddles xxx
ps. then I'd try to chat you up

Louise4ever
Site Admin

Postby Louise4ever » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:31 pm

then you should know Red wine makes me very easy ;)

I won't count my chickens before they hatch, we have had a couple of spam posts but I think I got to them before anyone saw them, I've also cleared out a LOT of potential spammer members, personally for me keeping a check and removing spam has become a lot easier now I have admin rights!

GothGirl
Preference: Male to Female Crossdresser

Postby GothGirl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:43 pm

Don't know if it's any help, but on a Goth forum I'm a member of, when you first sign up you can't start any new threads until you've posted 10 replies to existing threads. When you make your first post, it has to be approved by admin before it is accepted, so if it's alot of spammy stuff you would get blocked before it was even posted. They also make sure your first 10 posts are proper posts!
Sounds extreme. It was a bit annoying not being able to start a new thread on joining up! They still have alot of members though (1000's)

Think these spammers just have too much time on their hands.
If they've got nothing to do, wish they wouldn't do it here.

Emily
X
I only smile if I have a reason...

Louise4ever
Site Admin

Postby Louise4ever » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:03 am

OK, since last we spoke on this subject I've done a lot of playing around with the system settings.
I think we can all agree that this issue will never go away completely, if there was an easy answer to all this we would have done it already and every time we put in a counter measure to stop it they find away around it.

So my focus has been to "Limit" the spam as much as possible, I have done this by making it so that newly registered members can only post in the introducing forum, once they have taken the time to introduce themselves we will manually raise their user lever to a regular user allowing them access to the rest of the site (I should point out they can still read the entire site apart from the members area but cannot post to it) I've seen a great reduction since I implemented this and I'm hoping it's put some of them off.

stage 2 of my plan has been in effect for a while now and is also working well, this is where I use the Forums word filter to identify and replace Key words used in the spam with either "SPAM!" or "Down with SPAM!" if you have been lucky enough to catch any of the spam over the last month you may have seen the title having the "SPAM!" inserted into it.

This achieves a few things, firstly it allows you to identify it as spam and therefore not bother clicking on it, secondly when the spammers see their efforts have been altered and the product they are trying to spam has been obscured it will put them off, and Thirdly as the key words often appear in the hyperlinks it renders them UN-usable.

anyway I hope this is welcome news to you all and may encourage some of you back to the forums.

please bare in mind that there will still be the odd Spammer who finds away around these counter measures but hopefully they will be far and few between and we do strive to remove spam within 24 hours of it being posted but the majority of the time it's within 4 hours.

thank you for your time

Louise <3

Louise4ever
Site Admin

Postby Louise4ever » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:53 pm

So far so good, 95% of the spammers that are registering for an account on our forums are getting on to find they can only post in one place and they can't multiple post in the same thread and are not even bothering to make one post because they can't flood the forums anymore, those last 5% which equates to roughly 1 post a day that still go ahead and post some spam are limited to the point where it is nicely tucked away and shouldn't spoil your enjoyment of the rest of the forum, as ever we aim to remove it as soon as possible.

I think I've earned a bonus :frrrt:

Return to “CrossDressing Forum News and Announcements”