Shopping for clothes

Part of CrossDressing is about shopping at the right places at the right prices. Lets hear about your shopping habbits gurls!
Forum rules
CrossDressing Zone is a tasteful and clean forum for people serious about CrossDressing. For this reason we do not allow nudity or foul language. Our moderators check and if required remove Spam daily.
Celine
Newly registered users
Preference: Male to Female Crossdresser

Shopping for clothes

Postby Celine » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:34 pm

I like to do my clothes shopping on line because its saves you from embarrassment of store staff, gives you more privacy without using the dressing rooms at the stores and pay for merchandise online. I don't know about you, I search a lot of websites for these items: one sleeve dresses, off shoulder dresses, sundresses and muumuus. :thumbs:

Sara.G
Preference: P/T T-Girl

Re: Shopping for clothes

Postby Sara.G » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:10 am

I think that shopping preferences depend on quite a few factors, not least your own confidence. If you are nervous just thinking about buying female clothing in a store then it probably isn't going to be the best idea for you. I would also say that local attitudes to crossdressers, or indeed transgendered persons will also have a bearing and in smaller communities I could see where a problem could arise.

Personally, I buy my clothing both in-store and online. In-store I have shopped both as my male persona and as Sara without any difficulty.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice and whatever you feel comfortable with.
"Denying who you really are, only leads to regrets later in life. Seize the moment because it will never come around again."

I have been reliably informed that I am a much bigger bitch when I am NOT Sara!!!!

BelleMaree
Newly registered users

Postby BelleMaree » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:08 am

I do most of my shopping online, mainly though because I'm buying things from overseas that I can't get here (or that are cheaper from overseas), however just like you Celine I found it hard dealing with sales staff when I first started shopping. Sara is right, confidence is a big part of it, but also I found that if someone comes up to you to assist, one tip I have is to just downplay what you're doing. Don't come up with an elaborate excuse, don't go into any more details than you need to. Lots of men buy things as presents for their wives and girlfriends every day without that overwhelming sense of embarrassment that we've all felt at one time or another, so why should you feel any different just because it's for you?

kathy123

Postby kathy123 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:13 pm

I agrre with both the previous replies. On-line is certainly the safest and least stressful way to go. I currently do 90% of my shopping in store dressed and I find really like the stuff the buy and it FITS, but it has not always been that way. I had abstained from dressing from age 25 or so when I got engaged to my first wife until age 39 when we separated for divorce. I started getting itchy for something to make me happy, and what came to mind - dressing up. I spent a lot of time on line looking at all kinds of things good and bad.... and found a transformation service that a full time CD/TS girl did out of her house about an hour away. I made an appointment a couple weeks out then went into my local mall dressed as a guy and had no issues getting several nice outfits of jeans and tops (had to buy a couple pairs around the same size and later return the incorrect sizes), a really nice pair of satin lined white dress pants and a satin type blouse with paired camisole, some pantyhose and a bra/panty set. It was a higher end dept store so it was not cheap but the clerk helped me all the way through. I do not recall explaining anything to her, I'm sure I must have said something but nothing elaborate (my advice mirrors BelleMaree here), but at the end as I was checking out she just said you have a very lucky wife, she's going to love what you picked out. I brought it all to the transformation service the next week (after of course trying it on home like 20 times) and they had wigs and padded panties there that I could buy as part of them helping me get re-started. They ordered me breast forms and had them delivered to my house and sent me on my way back into the world, wigs, makeup and dressed for the first time in many years - talk about being nervous. The first thing I did (after sitting in the car for like 15 minutes calming myself down thinking about having to drive home for an hour - I really had not given it much thought prior) on the way home was hit the mall and bought black 6" high dress boots (boot not heel lol ), a jean skirt (which has always been my favorite thing to wear when I really want to just blend in), some make-up and then headed to DSW - the discount shoe outlet chain and bought a couple pairs of inexpensive shoes. Back in business :love: and ready to go.

Sara.G

Postby Sara.G » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks Girls, all good advice there. To expand a little on what to say in-store if dressed in drab, as BelleMaree says don't go looking for an elaborate excuse. If, I need help these days I tend to just ask whatever I need to such as "Do you have this colour in a 12?" or "I'm trying to find this for someone who is size 12, can you point me in the right direction?" It is best not to specify who it is for, just let them decide for themselves - most will come to the wrong conclusion.
"Denying who you really are, only leads to regrets later in life. Seize the moment because it will never come around again."

I have been reliably informed that I am a much bigger bitch when I am NOT Sara!!!!

dani262
Registered users

Postby dani262 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:28 pm

I wanted to buy a shirt from a female only New Look store but wasn't sure what size to get. Although I was ok to buy a shirt from there I was too shy to ask about sizes and as it was a female only store the fitting rooms where out of the question (I wasn't dressed femme at the time).

So instead I went to unisex shop nearby (TK Max) and found some women shirts that I didn't want to buy but were the same sizes and mixed them in with a guys shirt. I used their fitting rooms to find the sizes that fit then put the clothes back, went back to New Look and got the right size shirt!

Just something to consider.

Sara.G

Postby Sara.G » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:44 pm

New Look are pretty good - I get their advertising blurb to my male email.

Their policy statement is as follows -
"As a brand dedicated to giving everyone wonderful things, New Look makes all the hottest trends and latest celebrity looks totally accessible in terms of price as well as size. And everyone – absolutely everyone, regardless of age, size, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender – is welcome to shop at New Look.

Everyone who works at New Look wants to make the shopping experience fun – as well as safe, convenient and comfortable. And the great customer service for which we’re admired isn’t just about efficient procedures at the tillpoints; it’s about making every single customer feel that they’re truly valued. Some of our stores do allow certain groups (for example Muslim women or transgender customers) to make out-of-hours shopping appointments to safeguard their privacy. But, as New Look aims to be as inclusive as possible, the brand doesn’t operate a corporate policy unique to transgender customers. We want them to feel every bit as welcome and valued as all other New Look customers.

We are truly sorry if there’s been any incident when a transgender customer has been made to feel uncomfortable while shopping with us. Without singling out any one group for positive discrimination, we’re doing all we can to be as inclusive as possible."

So in theory, you can approach a staff member ask if they can arrange for you to try items at the time or out of hours. At the end of the day, they would rather we spent money in their store than go to a competitor.

dani262
Registered users

Postby dani262 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:07 am

By 'female only store' I meant that their local single floor branch only has a female department. I don't hold that against them at all. I've bought a few things before. I was just embarrassed this time to ask about sizes because they seem so arbitrary.

And I didn't want to make any of their customers nervous by using their fitting rooms, even if I was dressed femme.

Every retailer in 2017 should have a gender friendly policy but that doesn't mean that their individual staff members will follow it, unfortunately.

Sara.G

Postby Sara.G » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:56 am

Never noticed if our local New Look has male clothing, always head straight for the sale rails then lingerie then shoes. It does have a Starbucks inside it though lol

DebbieT
Preference: Transitioning Female

Postby DebbieT » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:03 am

New Look are ace with trans customers.

If you're in drab and they're busy, they may ask you to come back to try on clothes at a later time or use the male changing rooms. If you're dressed though, then it's fine.

Debbie

Return to “CrossDresser Shopping”